Originally, the city was surrounded by an earth ramparts and a wooden palisade with towers, and a moat to which a special channel led water. Brick fortifications, but without towers, were erected around 1350 at the request of bishop Przecław of Pogorzela. During the invasion of the Hussites in 1428, the walls were partially demolished and, according to the agreement between the bishop of Wrocław and the Hussite leaders, they were to be completely demolished. Ultimately however, the fortifications were only lowered to half, and after 1460, rebuilding was carried out. During the Thirty Years War, fortifications were strengthened by external bastions, ravines and earth ramparts. In the 18th century, after the occupation of Silesia by Prussia and the construction of huge fortresses in Kłodzko, Świdnica and Nysa, the action of destroying old fortifications in small towns was started. Even then, apart from the walls, there were fragments of the palisade. Initially, the fortifications were preserved, because they allowed collection of tax and prevented the desertion of soldiers, but were finally dismantled until 1860.
The defensive wall was about 5 meters high and 2 meters wide. The entrance to the city was guarded by the Lower Gate, also called Nysa Gate and the Upper Gate. The Upper Gate was protected by a towering, originally 20 meter high tower.
To this day, fragments of the walls at Skłodowska and Wita Stwosza streets and the Tower of the Upper Gate have been preserved. Mentioned for the first time in 1418, today’s appearance with the renaissance attic was obtained after rebuilding in 1600. Currently, it has a tourist function as a 25 meter viewing platform.
Webpage glucholazy.info, Resztki murów obronnych.