The oldest information about the existence of fortifications in Głogówek dates back to 1379. At that time, one of the town gates was mentioned, which was defined as a newly created. This indicates the probability of earlier existence of other gates and fortifications. The initiator of its construction was probably prince Bolesław of Niemodlin and the work was continued by his youngest son Henryk and perhaps also Władysław Opolczyk. The walls circumference was probably created over at least several generations. Probably the walls and gates were erected first and next towers were built.
In 1428, the Hussite army of Prokop the Great approached the town, but unlike many other Silesian cities, Głogówek did not have to defend itself and was not destroyed, despite the fact that the Hussites occupied the castle. Bolko V, the then prince of Głogówek and Prudnik, confirmed by oath that he is going over to their side. He remained the Hussite ally for the following years, actively taking part in armed invasions and greatly enriching himself.
The town underwent a more severe effort in 1643 when Głogówek was besieged and captured by the Swedish army during the Thirty Years War. At that time, the town walls probably also suffered. The fortifications were finally demolished around 1870, probably due to transport difficulties inside the town.
The defensive walls of Głogówek had approximately the shape of a rectangle, rounded in the corners and based on the north-east of the princely castle. They closed the area of the medieval town of 11 ha. The thickness of the wall was about 1,6 meters, the height remains unknown. Three town gates led to the town: Kozielska from the west, Castle Gate also called St Mary from the north and later Water Gate from the south. The Kozielska and Water gates were originally in a form of low, short, four-sided buildings. The Water Gate was flanked by a four-sided tower, and the Castle gate was flanked by four-sided Prison Tower.
To this day, a few, heavily reduced fragments of the town wall have been preserved. Among the town gates, the Castle Gate is the only one to survive, unfortunately in the form transformed in early modern times. Near the Castle Gate there is a guard and prison tower built in 1595. Currently, it is the seat of the Regional Museum. Its collections are ethnographic exhibits, illustrating the culture of life of the inhabitants of the former Głogówek and the surrounding area. Of particular interest are the former prison cells, one of which centuries ago served as a torture chamber.
Webpage skladnica gornoslaska.pl, Miasto Głogówek i mury obronne.