The first stone castle was built in the 13th century, perhaps after the town received charter (town rights) from Władysław of Opole in 1275. Certainly already in the years 1283-1313 in the corner of the town stood the defensive residence of the Opole prince Bolesław I. The first direct written source information about it appeared only in 1478, when it was to be destroyed by fire. It was owned by the Opole princes until 1532, when after the death of Prince John II the Opole Piast line expired.
After passing into private hands, the castle became the property of the Zeidlitzs, and then from 1562 Oppersdorfs, who were its owners until the Second World War. They also carried out a thorough Renaissance rebuilding in the second half of the 16th century, as a result of which a virtually new residence was erected by 1571. The next phase of construction works coincided with the reign of George II, who from 1595 became the hereditary owner of the Głogówek estate. In the 1730s, a late Baroque reconstruction was carried out, which blurred the Renaissance features. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the residence fell into neglect, and moreover, around 1800, a fire broke out in it, which destroyed many valuable collections. In the years 1848-1849 the palace was once again modernized, this time introducing elements of neo-Gothic and classicism. After the world war damages, the castle was initially secured, but to this day there is no proper user, which causes its further destruction.
The castle was built in the northern part of Głogówek, next to the town fortifications, at the Castle Gate. The exact appearance of the medieval castle is unknown. Probably it was a regular complex, whose core and the oldest part was a four-sided, stone residential tower with the dimensions of 12,8×16,6 meters, reinforced with four buttresses and surrounded by a moat. It was recorded in 1562, when the castle was dismantled and rebuilt, and it already had the form of a three-winged building. The stronghold was combined with the city walls.
The new Renaissance castle was also a three-wing complex with an outer bailey. In the second phase of rebuilding, four round corner towers were erected. At that time, two wings were created: north and south of the lower castle.
To this day, the upper and lower castle has been preserved, however, it underwent a Baroque reconstruction, which obscured its renaissance appearance. Finding Gothic elements is even more difficult. The building requires urgent renovation and development, but it is possible to visit it.
Chrzanowski T., Głogówek, Warszawa 1977.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.