Church of St. George was a almhouse temple of the New Town of Elbląg, built next to a leper hospital. The first mention of it comes from 1340. The temple functioned thanks to donors, foundations and support of the town council. After the fire that broke out in 1400, the church was rebuilt into a brick one. In the sixteenth century, the ceiling was replaced, decorating it with mannerist polychrome. During the Napoleonic Wars, the temple was devastated, among other things, prisoners of war were detained there. The building was in such a bad condition that in the 40s of the 19th century, even the dismantling was considered, but fortunately the town councilors did not give consent. A public collection was announced, which helped the amount donated by the Brotherhood of Saint George and the town council. Thanks to that, the renovation was carried out in 1846. In the 1860s, the hospital buildings were replaced with a brick, two-story building, and the historic church was renovated after 1907.
At the beginning it was a half-timbered building with dimensions of 9 by 19 meters. In the fifteenth century it was bricked up, gaining a gothic form. The building has one nave, reinforced with buttresses and it had a flat, painted ceiling. A small ridge turret is placed on the gable roof. The ogival entrance portal is located on the west side. The lighting is provided by narrow, elongated windows placed in longer elevations.
Webpage leksykonkultury.ceik.eu, Kościół pw. św. Jerzego w Elblągu.
Webpage swjerzy.elblag.pl, Kościół św. Jerzego (Neustädtische St. Georg Kirche)