The nunnery in Cedynia was founded around the middle of the 13th century. Its greatest prosperity occurred during the reign of the margraves of the Wittelsbach dynasty in Brandenburg in the 14th century, when nuns received numerous landings and foundations. The end of the monastery came with the Reformation in 1555. The last nuns stayed there until 1611, because there was a school for brides of noble origin in post-monastery buildings. Later, it was transformed into the office of the Brandenburg elector. In 1699, it was destroyed by a fire. Soon it was rebuilt and transformed into a land estate. In the years 1811-1870, in the monastery operated a post-office, and then until 1940 again was the seat of the owner of the land estate.
The abbey was built in the immediate vicinity of the city on the valley bank of the Odra river, adjacent to it. The foundation consisted of a church and western and eastern wings adjacent to it from the south. Wherein, the west wing was connected to the church through a wall adjacent to its west facade right next to the portal entrance to the temple. The walls of the complex were built of stone, and their higher parts, cloisters and presumably gables of the church were made in brick.
The church was an aisleless, orientated construction, 37 x 12 meters, without a separate chancel. The outer walls were separated with buttresses and large windows set in between them. The eastern and western gables were stepped and had pinnacles. The presence of the buttress would indicate the vaulted interior. The whole was covered with a ceramic gable roof.
The eastern wing of the nunnery, measuring 42 x 10 meters, was divided into four rooms. The first three from the church side, had a plan similar to the square, the last south was a large, spacious room. There were, in turn, the sacristy, the parlatorium, the chapter house and the nun’s hall. On the first floor there was a dormitory for nuns. The western wing, measuring 53 x 11,6 meters, is divided in the ground floor into two elongated rooms. The northern room constituting the warehouse, was originally adjacent to the indoor cloister and the monastery wicket gate. The southern part of the wing has a basement and also buttressed from the south-western side. There was a refectory of the sisters here. In the southern and western elevations, narrow windows have been preserved with pointed jambs. The second floor made entirely in brick, was the sleeping quarters of lay sisters. Only in the southern top there is the original decoration in the form of pointed blendes in the pyramidal system. The storeys were separated by wooden, beamed ceilings and covered by a gable, ceramic roof. Only the basement was vaulted. The southern wings usually housed kitchen and other utility rooms as well as a refectory. However, the research showed no foundations and despite the presence of shreds of walls in the eastern façade of the western building, led to the conclusion that the southern wing was not implemented.
The monastery hill was surrounded by a high wall made of field stones with gates and wickets. Next to the claustrum located in the western part, on the eastern side of the square, there were numerous outbuildings.
In the years 1997-2005, the monastery building was rebuilt by a private owner. Currently, the only preserved west wing of former monastery, houses the hotel and restaurant “Monastery Cedynia”.
Pilch J., Kowalski S., Leksykon zabytków Pomorza Zachodniego i ziemi lubuskiej, Warszawa 2012.
Website architektura.pomorze.pl, Cedynia – klasztor pocysterski ( Zehden ).