The first mention of the castle dates back to the end of the 14th century. It probably was erected by Niemierza, the Strzała coat of arms or his father, Pełka, as a defensive knights residence. At the end of the fifteenth century, Bydlin passed to Brzeziccy, and then Szczepanowscy and Boner families. At the end of the 16th century, another owner, Mikołaj Firlej, rebuilt the castle into the church of the Holy Cross. In 1655, it was destroyed by the Swedes, and in spite of the reconstruction, at the end of the 18th century, it was gradually abandoned and ruined.
The defensive – residential castle consisted of a high house on a rectangular plan with dimensions of 11,4×24 meters and a walls thickness of 2,3 meters. It was erected from the local limestone on a lofty hill. The castle was buttressed at the corners, it had at least three floors with two rooms on each. The entrance was located on the south elevation axis, at a height of 2,5 meters, from the level of the courtyard. In the second phase of construction, probably in the fourteenth century, a perimeter wall was added with a gate tower in the south-east part. The entire complex was surrounded by a partially carved into the rock moat and a stone and earth rampart.
The remains of the walls in the form of a ruin are preserved from the castle, the remains of the moat are also visible. Entrance to the castle is free.
Kołodziejski S., Średniowieczne rezydencje obronne możnowładztwa na terenie województwa krakowskiego, Warszawa 1994.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.
Pilch J, Leksykon zabytków architektury Górnego Śląska, Warszawa 2008.