The castle in Bratian was built in 1340-1360 as the seat of the Teutonic vogt, subordinate to the commandry in Malbork. The first documented mention of the castle dates back to 1343, when the meeting took place in the castle of Mazovian dukes Ziemowit II and Bolesław III with the grand master Ludolf König, in the matter of demarcating the border between Mazovia and the Teutonic state. The last meeting of the highest dignitaries of the Order was held in Bratian castle, before the battle of Grunwald. The Second Peace in Toruń in 1466 granted the castle to Poland, and it became the seat of the starosts. During the Prussian rule, the castle was demolished at the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century.
The castle was built of brick on a stone base on a regular plan similar to a square with an internal courtyard. In the north-west corner there was a tower, round at the bottom, and a polygonal above. At the northern curtain there was a main, brick house in which the chapel was located. A building with a brick ground floor and half-timber upper floors adjoined the eastern curtain. At the western curtain, the buildings of the kitchen, brewery and bakery were located. The entrance led from the south through the moat. From the south and the west there was a large outer bailey, surrounded by a wall with probably two round towers and a gatehouse. The part of the outer bailey was a separate island, and on its territory there was, among others, a barn.
The castle in Bratian has not survived to our times, its place is marked only by a poorly visible hill with a few meters relic of the stone wall and remains of the cylindrical tower of the outer bailey.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.
Wasik B., Budownictwo zamkowe na ziemi chełmińskiej od XIII do XV wieku, Toruń 2016.