The castle in Bobolice was built around 1350 by king Casimir the Great as part of the defense system of the western border of the Kingdom of Poland. In 1370, on the occasion of his coronation, Louis the Great gave it to Władysław of Opole, who then gave the fortress to Hungarian Andrzej Schona. A dozen or so years later, king Władysław Jagiełło had to recapture the castle, because it became a rogue seat. Another reason could be the politic of Władysław of Opole who was hostile to the Kingdom of Poland.
In 1427, after the death of Anna, the daughter of the first private owner of the castle, Andrzej Schona, there was a property dispute in which Stanisław Szafraniec from Młodziejowice, Anna’s son from the first marriage and her second husband, Mściwój from Mierzchowiska took part. This conflict lasted until 1445, when the castle was completely bought by Szafraniec family. With time, Bobolice was taken over by Trestkow family, and then from 1486, Krez family, coat of arms Ostoja.
The invasion of 1587 by the pretender to the Polish throne, archduke Maximilian Habsburg, contributed to the first serious destruction, but the castle was however recaptured by the army of hetman Jan Zamoyski. Another destruction brought the period of Swedish wars in the mid-seventeenth century. The castle was then owned by Myszkowcy family from Mirów, and since 1651 by the Męciński family. In 1657 Bobolice was ruined by the Swedes. Although reconstruction started, it was still in 1683 that king Jan III Sobieski, who traveled to fight witch Turks under Vienna, was forced to sleep in a tent under the castle. The last information about the residency of the castle comes from the beginning of the 18th century, later it was certainly abandoned and began to fall into a gradually dismantled ruin. In 2011, it was rebuilt by a private investor.
Unfortunately, there is no data to accurately identify the medieval spatial layout of the castle. It was erected on the edge of the rocky ridge, falling vertically on the north side. Probably the oldest stone element was a cylindrical tower with a diameter of 9 meters and thin walls 1.5 meters thick. Next to it was a residential building, and the whole was secured by a wall or a pallisade running along the edges of the hill. The outer ward located below the castle was protected by the ditch with the wooden bridge. The entrance was located on the eastern side.
Probably in the fifteenth century, semi-circular towers strengthening the defense system were added. In the sixteenth century, the oldest cylindrical tower was demolished, and its relics were incorporated into new, two-story residential building that ran along the contour of the rock. The structure was complemented by three corner semi-circular towers added to the main building. The modernizations consisted of expanding the residential and representative part with the chambers and the chapel on the floors as well as the kitchen, pantry and treasury in the ground floor. In the area of the outer ward, the entrance was secured by a gatehouse, located just at the ditch.
The Bobolice castle was lifted from the ruin, but the final effect is a source of much controversy. Apparently, a group of specialists watched over the reconstruction, but it does not change the fact that, due to the lack of source messages, we can not be sure how the castle really looked like. Another problem is the artificiality and lack of climate of the new castle. It is available for visitors on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays between 10:00 and 16:00.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.
Kmiotek D., Zamek Bobolice i zamek Mirów, Dąbrowa Górnicza 2008.