The castle in Bardo was built at the end in the 13th or early 14th century on the slope of Kalwaria Mountain. In 1301, Bolko the Strict sold it to a knight from Dzbanów. It was probably destroyed during the Hussite Wars around 1425.
The castle was erected on the slope of Kalwaria Mountain at an altitude of about 350 meters above sea level. It consisted of an oval, stone upper castle and located about 30 meters south of it, separated by a ditch, a wooden outer ward. The upper castle occupied an area of about 500 m2 (36 x 30 meters) and was surrounded by walls about 2.2 meters thick.
In the eastern part of the small courtyard there was a free-standing tower – bergfried with a diameter of 10 meters. To the west of it were three residential and economic buildings. The building in the north-west corner of the courtyard had thicker walls that were not a defense circuit (1 meter) and could have a tower-like character. It probably had the outline of a quadrilateral. The entrance to it, about 1 meter wide, led from the level of the courtyard. The building attached to the middle section of the northern curtain had a basement (4.3-5 x 6.9-7.3 meters). From the side of the courtyard, it was limited by 0.7 meter thick walls. The cellar, covered with a ceiling, led down a 6.2-meter long descent, most probably provided with wooden stairs. The third building at the southwestern section of the perimeter wall was at least two-story. There are relics of its basement with a trapezoidal outline (3.5-3.7 to 5.1-9.9 meters), topped with a barrel vault. In both of its shorter walls there were niches. The gate to the castle was placed on the south-eastern side. It was a simple portal in the wall with a width of 1.8-1.9 meters.
Outer ward was created partly on the hill made of sand and rock rubble. It was probably fortified with a stone-and-earth rampart built of stones laid without mortar. No internal stone buildings were found, while the existence of layers of lime mortar and pure lime were found, interpreted as the remains of the construction site.
To this day, only the outline of the foundations and ground parts have been preserved. It were superstructured during the conservation activities. Admission to the castle area is free.
Boguszewicz A., Corona Silesiae. Zamki Piastów fürstenberskich na południowym pograniczu księstwa jaworskiego, świdnickiego i ziębickiego do połowy XIV wieku, Wrocław 2010.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.