The history of Grobiņa dates back to the 8th century when a Scandinavian trade settlement existed there, followed by a hillfort of pagan Curonians. In 1254, under the document dividing the Courland between the Teutonic Order and the individual bishoprics, these areas fell to the Order. However, for a long time, the Teutonic Knights were unable to submit permanently these border areas. It was not until the third decade of the 14th century that the construction of the brick fortress Grobiņa began, and even later, because it was not until 1428 that the first known teutonic vogt, Goswin von Ascheberg, appeared in the sources. The last vogt was Klaus von Streithorst, who was in the castle around 1560. After the secularization of the Livonian branch of the Teutonic Order, the castle and the entire region was joined to the Duchy of Courland and Semigallia, dependent on the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. It was then rebuilt several times and adopted as a noble residence. In the 17th century, it was additionally reinforced with artillery bastions. Its destruction was brought about by the Great Northern War in the early 18th century, after which it was no longer rebuilt. Partial renovation of the castle fragments was carried out in the 70s of the twentieth century.
The castle had only one large courtyard with a regular shape, surrounded by a defensive wall to which the castle buildings adjoined from the north, south, east and partly west. The most magnificent of them was the southern building, which housed the chapel from the east and the refectory. At least part of the buildings and walls was equipped with a wooden porch for the defenders, running up the top. The castle gate located in the defense tower was probably halfway along the western wall, although it can not be seen on the 17th century drawing of the castle. The whole stronghold was surrounded by an irrigated moat. The castle did not have a fortified outer bailey.
Until today, most of the outer walls of the main south wing of the castle and smaller fragments from the north and east have survived. All of them, unfortunately, have modern window openings, distorting the appearance of the original structure to a large extent. The area of ruin is a popular place to rest, and numerous outdoor events are organized here.
Borowski T, Miasta, zamki i klasztory, Inflanty, Warszawa 2010.