The church appeared for the first time in historical sources in 1339. It was erected thanks to the initiative of the noble Uexküll family. During its history, it was rebuilt several times. The church tower was added only in 1933.
The medieval church in Vigala was an orientated, simple, aisleless building with a nave on a rectangular plan and a smaller and narrower, square chancel on the eastern side. Both parts were covered with separate, gable roofs.