Dominican monastery of St. Catherine was in Tallinn in its current location at least since 1246. Then the coastline and the harbor were much closer to the city, which had a positive impact on the economic development of the monastery, brokering in the trade of fish and other goods imported by sea. Also significant were the connections with the Brotherhood of the Blackheads from Tallinn, which transferred material donations to the monastery, for which the monks, in turn, patronized the members of the community. The monastery was destroyed during the Reformation in 1524, when a raging crowd invaded the church and forced the monks to leave the city. The property of the order and the monastery was considered as a property of the city. Unfortunately, as a result of a fire in 1531, the church and part of the eastern and northern buildings were damaged. Since then, they have been inhabited by the poor and the homeless. Partial demolitions, mainly the northern wing of the monastery, occurred in the nineteenth century, due to the construction of a new, nearby church of St. Peter and Paul.
The major building of the monastery was the church of St. Catherine located in the southern part, which was probably completed in its final form in the second half of the 14th century and was one of the largest buildings in medieval Tallinn. The length of the church was 67,7 meters, width 18,5 meters, and the church area was 1219 square meters. The remaining monastery buildings located north of the church formed an inner courtyard with a rectangular shape. From the west side, a monastic granary was in contact with the church building.
A part of the courtyard and the monastery buildings and cloisters surrounding it from the east and west have survived to our times, as well as two entrance portals to the church. Together, they form one of the better-preserved urban monastery complexes throughout the territory of Livonia.