The church in Pöide was founded at the beginning of the 14th century as a result of the reconstruction of the former castle chapel, to which one bay from the west and one from the east were added. The walls were also raised and a huge tower was added. The church was plundered during the Second World War, when it also served as a warehouse. In 1940, it also burned as a result of a lightning strike. A long crack running through the west wall of the tower is a mark of this accident. The church began to be gradually repaired from 1989.
The church is an aisleless building on an elongated rectangular plan, two-bay with a massive four-sided tower on the west side. It does not have a chancel separated from the nave, but the presbutery is separated inside by a pointed arcade. Early Gothic portals on the north and south sides are the remains of the earlier chapel.