The parish church in Märjamaa was founded in the 14th century, when it was also used for defensive purposes. In 1686 it was renovated, and in 1871 the church tower was raised to its present height. In 1941, during the Battle of Märjamaa, it was destroyed. Until 1959, repairs were made and its sacred functions restored.
The church was built as an orientated, simple, aisleless building without a chancel separated from the outside. A four-sided tower was built on the west side. Inside, the eastern priestly part was separated from the western part intended for the congregation by a high, pointed arcade. Both parts of the church were topped with vaults with ribs falling onto the wall shafts, ending slightly below the window sills.