The gothic church of St. George in Laiuse dates back to the first half of the 14th century. In the 16th century it was seriously damaged during the Livonian War, it lost its roof and most of the ceiling. During this period, it was managed by Polish Catholic priest Marcin Mierzejowski. In the first half of the 17th century, the building was still in ruin, only the tower was rebuilt with a wooden structure. Another destruction was caused by the Great Northern War at the beginning of the 17th century, but from 1734, gradual repairs were begun, continued also in the 19th century.
The church was created as a typical, orientated on the sides of the world, a medieval temple of this region, consisting of a rectangular nave, a shorter and narrower chancel ended with a straight wall and a tower on the western side. The walls of the nave and chancel are separated with narrow and long, lancet windows.