The church of St. Lawrence in Kuusalu is one of the oldest temples in northern Estonia. It was erected by the Cistercian monks of Gotland at the end of the 13th century. This is indicated by its location, away from busy routes. According to the tradition, the builder was brother Lawrence, later burned alive by the heathens. The church suffered during the Livonian War in the second half of the sixteenth century and during the Great Northern War in the early eighteenth century. The baroque spire, like the upper part of the tower, was built during the renovation of the building in 1760. In 1889, a fundamental neo-gothic rebuilding was carried out, during which an eastern apse was added and the church obtained a Greek cross plan.
The original medieval church consisted of a rectangular nave, a shorter and narrower chancel ended with a straight wall and a tower on the western side. In the fifteenth century, vaults were laid and the walls of the building were raised.