The Falkenau fortified monastery was the second oldest of its kind in the area of Livonia, because its origin took place between 1228 and 1233, when the bishop of Szczecin, Hermann, brought Cistercian monks from the German monastery in Pforta to Kärkna. It was to be the training center for competent cadres and a potential ally in the rivalry of the bishop with the Livonian Brothers of the Sword. The newly founded monastery was burnt several times by local heathens and by the army of the Pskov and Novgorod princes. Only from the mid-thirteenth century, when the eastern border of Livonia stabilized, the monastery entered a period of long development. The monks had numerous salaries, lands and substantial income, which allowed to keep as many as 40 brothers in the convent. Funds were also not regretted to the fortifications, which in later years were adapted to use firearms. A waterway was often used to reach the monastery. About 300 meters from the main gate, the Cistercians arranged a harbor on the river, so that all merchants could stay here for prayer and trade. Within the monastery there was also a fortified water mill.
The end of Falkenau came in the sixteenth century with the army of Ivan the Terrible, which destroyed the monastery and murdered its inhabitants. The depopulated ruins served the local population as a free source of building material.
Falkenau was built according to the guidelines of the Cistercian rule. It consisted of three wings of monastic buildings and a church that closed the courtyard on the west side. The church was a two-level building, where the ground floor had no windows for defense reasons, and the main level of the temple was slightly higher. In order to emphasize poverty, the Cistercians did not build towers in their churches. The southern and eastern wing of the monastery housed a dormitory, abbot rooms and refectory, northern wing housed chapter house and a sacristy. The whole was surrounded by a moat and a perimeter wall with two corner towers and a chapel in the north-west corner. The fortified entrance gate was located on the south side.
Until today only the outlines of foundations remained from the medieval monastery, only in some places reaching a height of over one meter. The best preserved element are relics of a powerful monastery mill.
Borowski T, Miasta, zamki i klasztory, Inflanty, Warszawa 2010.