Church of St. Catherine in Hosby (Noarootsi) probably was built at the turn of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, although the first written records about it come only from the year 1500. At that time it belonged to the bishopric of Ösel–Wiek, probably also served defensive functions. During the Livonian War in the second half of the sixteenth century it was destroyed. According to a local legend, Polish troops kept horses in it. It was rebuilt in the seventeenth century and rebuilt in the mid-19th century. In the years 2003-2004, the roof was renovated, and again covered with a wooden cover.
The church from the 13th / 14th centuries was a single-nave building, orientated, slightly lower than at present and still without the tower. From the east, it had a narrower and shorter chancel, ended with a straight wall.