The church was built in the fifteenth century on the site of an earlier wooden temple. Due to its position on the coastal hill it also served as a lighthouse. In the 16th and 17th century it was rebuilt, and subsequent changes were introduced in the years 1760-1780, among other things, the tower was than raised. In the mid-nineteenth century, to celebrate the coronation of the tsar, the tower was raised and reinforced with buttresses.
The church is a building orientated towards the sides of the world, hall with a polygonal ended chancel from the east, sacristy on the north side and a tower on the west side.