The church was founded in the twelfth or thirteenth century. The correct name of the settlement in Welsh meant “Mary’s church near the forest” (Llanfair Is Coed) and referred to the forest of Wentwood, which in the time of the Gwent kingdom separated the then territorial units Gwent Is Coed from Gwent Uwch Coed. In 1746, the porch was added to the church on the south side, and in the 19th century, the entire building underwent a thorough Victorian modernization.
The church is a small, rural temple consisting of a rectangular nave and chancel, a sacristy on the north side of the presbytery and a porch on the south side of the nave.
Website wikipedia.org, Llanvair Discoed.