Located near the castle Castell y Bere, the church of St. Michael in Llanfihangel y Pennant was probably founded in the 12th or 13th century. In the fifteenth century and then in the sixteenth century, it was rebuilt and enlarged by a northern chapel. A major reconstruction was carried out in the Victorian style in the nineteenth century, when unfortunately most of the windows was replaced by modern openings.
Originally, the church consisted of a nave and a presbytery, connected together on a rectangular plan. The presbytery part of the church was probably a bit later and dates from the 15th century, which means that the building was enlarged, extended towards the east. On the north side there is a chapel built in the 16th century. Inside, the chancel was originally separated from the nave by a rood screen, and the whole building was topped with an open, wooden roof truss.
The church has a roughly late Gothic form, enlarged with a modern porch added to the south wall. The only surviving medieval windows are in the northern part of the chapel and in the northern part of the nave. The church is one of the few in which the lepers’ window has been preserved. It allowed those who suffered from leprosy to see the liturgy from outside. From the original furnishings, a baptismal font from the 12th / 13th century has been preserved.
Salter M., The old parish churches of North Wales, Malvern 1993.
The Royal Commission on The Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions in Wales and Monmouthshire. An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire. County of Merioneth, London 1921.
Website coflein.gov.uk, St Michael’s church, Eglwys Mihangel, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant.