Conwy – Aberconwy House

History

Medieval house in Conwy at Castle Street 2 near the Lower Gate and the waterfront, was built in the first half of the fifteenth century from timber cut in 1417-1420. It was probably a merchant’s house with a high status. In the 17th century, it was owned by Evan David, who traded vegetables on the ground floor. In the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries it was the home of captain Samuel Williams, a shale, copper and lead trader. In the years 1850-1910, the Aberconwy hotel and cafe were created in the house. Then it was a bakery and an antique store, before it became the the property of the National Trust in 1934. After a thorough renovation in 1976, it was open to visitors.

Architecture

The house was erected on a rectangular plan, originally it was probably a two-story building. The lower storeys were made of stone, the upper one was made of wood in a timber frame construction on strongly protruding brackets. It was covered with a gable roof. In the sixteenth or seventeenth century, the ground floor was divided into two floors by inserting another ceiling, forming a large hall and kitchen or a private room (solar) on the first floor and utility rooms in the basement. The second floor in the 16th century was divided into three rooms by partition walls. During this period, fireplaces and external stairs were also added. Currently, the ground floor is partly below street level.

Current state

Aberconwy is a rare example of a surviving home-warehouse built by English merchants trading in Welsh cities in the Middle Ages. Thanks to the dating of wood, we know that it is one of the oldest houses in Wales, which is why it was declared a monument of class I. The building is open to visitors, it presents decorated rooms, reflecting everyday life from different periods of history.

show this monument on map

return to alphabetical index

bibliography:
Website cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net, Aberconwy House. Full Report for Listed Buildings.
Website wikipedia.org, Aberconwy House.