The church of St. Michael in Betws y Coed was built in the fourteenth or fifteenth century. In 1843, it underwent a thorough reconstruction, but from 1873 began to decline due to the construction of a new, larger temple in the village. Necessary repairs were carried out only in the 90s of the twentieth century.
The original medieval church was a simple, aisleless, single-nave building on a rectangular plan. In 1843, the northern transept and the southern sacristy were added. The original medieval elements are: the southern, ogival portal of the nave and the south window of the chancel, as well as the niche in the northern wall of the chancel. It contains a tombstone of the knight Gruffydd ap Dafydd Goch. The Norman baptismal font has also been preserved from the original equipment.
The church is open to visitors daily from 10.00 to 17.00, from April to the end of October. During the remaining period, the key is available over opening hours at the Conwy Valley Railway Museum, opposite the church. Although the temple is now officially closed to regular public worship, services are held on St. Michael’s Day in September and at Christmas.
Wooding J., Yates N., A Guide to the churches and chapels of Wales, Cardiff 2011.
Website stmichaelsbyc.org.uk, Restoring St. Michael’s Old Church, Betws-y-Coed.