Angle – tower house


   The tower house in Angle was built at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries, probably by representatives of the Sherborne (Shirburn) family, who took over the local property in 1278 through marital affinities with the previous owners named Angle (Nangle). Later, the tower was used as the dwelling of the parish priest. Among the names of the owners from the end of the Middle Ages, there are such people as Sir John Perrot, Walter Rees, nad after his death in 1592, John Kynner. It is not known when the building was abandoned, presumably it happened in the 17th or 18th century.


   The tower was situated on the northern, fairly high bank of a small stream, in a bend created by it. Originally, it was also secured with a ditch, and the entrance led to it through a small drawbridge to the level of the first floor.
   The tower was erected on a square plan of sides of approximately 5.5 meters with an extended north-east corner, with walls up to only 1 meters thick and over 10,5 meters high. So it was a small building as for residential towers, although care was taken to secure it properly. Its elevations were characterized by numerous slits, and few larger four-sided windows, pierced only from the south (i.e. from the high bank of the stream). The defense was provided by a parapet crowning the building with battlement and machicolation formed between the corbels.
   Inside, the tower had a barrel vaulted basement of a pantry function and three residential upper floors, each with a single chamber with internal dimensions of around 3.6 x 3.6 meters. The floors were heated by fireplaces, and on the first floor there was an additional latrine, located at the eastern wall in an overhung projection, accessible through a passage in the thickness of the wall. All floors were covered with flat, wooden ceilings. Communication between them was provided by a spiral staircase located in the corner of the tower, in the protruding rounded wall.

Current state

   The defensive tower house in Angle is a rare and therefore valuable type of building in Wales, although it was very widespread in Scotland and Ireland. It is now a private property, leased by the Pembrokeshire National Park Authority, which recently supervised its renovation. The tower is open to visitors, but you must ask for the key at a nearby castle’s farm.


show this monument on map

return to alphabetical index

Salter M., The castles of South-West Wales, Malvern 1996.
Smith P., Houses of the Welsh Countryside. A Study in Historical Geography, London 1988.