Tvrdošín – All Saints Church


   The late-Gothic church of All Saints was built of wood cut down after 1435. In the years 1630-1635 it underwent a Renaissance reconstruction. The Protestant community that used it at that time installed a new ceiling in the nave, covered with a set of paintings along with the walls. Subsequent paintings were created after the inhabitants of the settlement returned to the Catholic religion at the beginning of the 18th century. An extensive renovation was carried out in the years 1986 – 1993, when, among others, the roof sheathing was replaced and the interior decorations were secured.


   The church was made of a rectangular nave and also a rectangular but shorter and narrower chancel on the eastern side. It was built of fir wood in a log construction technique, without the use of metal nails, of horizontally laid logs, joined in the corners without dovetails. The nave and chancel were covered with separate, shingled roofs, and a turret for a bell was placed at the western end of the ridge. The whole building, perhaps secondarily, was surrounded by low arcades, covered with a mono-pitched roof. The entrance to the interior of the nave led through the western and southern pointed portals. Lighting was originally provided by small, rectangular openings with moulded jambs.

Current state

   The church has preserved the medieval framework of the walls to the present day, including the Gothic western and southern portals, the eastern chancel window and the roof truss. From the original equipment, only the painting from around 1460, which was originally part of the altar, and the left wing of the altar have survived (both parts are in the museums in Bratislava and Budapest) . The current interior of the church has early modern, Renaissance and Baroque decor. In 2008, due to its unique character, the building was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List. Currently, the church is open to visitors for a small fee. Unfortunately, without prior appointment, it is available to tourists only in July and August from 10am to 4pm. In the remaining months before the visit, you must confirm visit by phone.

show this monument on map

return to alphabetical index

Slovensko. Ilustrovaná encyklopédia pamiatok, red. P.Kresánek, Bratislava 2020.