The church was built in the second half of the 14th century on the site of a small chapel. During the Hussite wars and the struggle for the Hungarian throne, it was burned down twice, in 1433 and 1442. It was repaired in the second half of the fifteenth century. When the town was taken over by the Turks in 1664, the temple was first converted into stables, and almost completely destroyed during their departure. It was rebuilt only in the years 1725-1729 and enlarged to a three-nave form of a basilica. Smaller modifications were made in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Erected on the Stangelier Hill, the church was originally a single-nave structure with a polygonal chancel. The external architecture was characterized by evenly distributed buttresses in the presbytery and gothic ogival windows placed between them.
Website novabana.sk, Historické pamiatky. Kostol Narodenia Panny Márie.