The church was erected by the Teutonic Order in the second half of the 14th century, on the site of the parish created by the Teutonic Knights before 1341. In the middle of the 18th and the end of the 19th century it was partially rebiult, and in the years 1905 – 1910 it was renovated.
The church is a Gothic, orientated building, built of brick on a stone foundation. It consists of an aisleless, three-bay, rectangular nave and a slightly narrower, straight ended chancel, to which from the north the sacristy was added, and from the south a porch. From the west, there is a four-sided, four-storey tower, embedded in the walls of the building.
The church’s nave is surrounded by three-stepped buttresses, the south and north walls are pierced with five ogival windows, some of them with preserved moulded jambs. Above the eastern wall there is a tripartite stepped gable, adorned with four pinnacles and three double blendes with narrow windows. In the middle there is a wide pointed window, flanked by two buttresses and rectangular plastered niches. The walls of the tower are divided by high blendes, and the corners have four-stepped buttresses. In the ground floor of the tower there is a moulded, pointed portal with the main entrance to the church.
Grzyb A., Strzeliński K., Najstarsze kościoły Kociewia, Starogard Gdański, 2008.
Webpage parafia.klonowka.pl, Historia kościoła w Klonówce.