The call of the church at Llanafan Fawr and its nearby cemetery suggest the early mediaeval roots of the temple, but the date of construction is unknown. It probably took place around the 13th century. In the sixteenth century, Thomas Huet was buried at the church. He was the first to translate the book of Revelation into Welsh. In 1765 the tower was rebuilt using the base of the older structure. In 1887, the church was in ruin, and therefore it was decided to drastic reconstruction and rebuilding. The chancel was demolished, which was replaced with a new one, the southern wall was repaired, and a porch has been demolished and new one erected.
The church was an aisleless structure orientated towards the sides of the world, on a rectangular plan with a chancel, which was originally located on the eastern side. From the west there was a four-sided tower, probably not very high at first.
As a result of early modern transformations, the body of the present church, without the separated externally chancel, today significantly differs from the original building. The raised tower was also transformed. Many stones with carved ornaments dating from the 5th / 6th century are embedded in the walls of the church, and inside you can find a 13th-century baptismal font.
Salter M., The old parish churches of Mid-Wales, Wolverhampton 1997.
Website britishlistedbuildings.co.uk, Church of St Afan. A Grade II Listed Building in Llanafanfawr (Llanafan Fawr), Powys.