The construction of the church began in 1725 and already in 1726 the building was consecrated. In 1726, the building was dedicated. During the Counter-Reformation, when the construction of Protestant churches in Upper Hungary was strictly regulated, the newly built Evangelical church had to meet the following conditions: it had to be built on the outskirts of the village or outside the city, had to be built in one year, had to be erected entirely from wood and built without the use of metal elements, it could not have a tower, and the entrance could not lead directly from the street.
The church was built on a small island in the Hron River, on a Greek cross plan, 26 meters long, 11 meters wide and 8 meters high, made of oak and larch wood. The frame structure refers to the half-timbered buildings popular in Germany, but unlike them, the spaces between the struts remain free, and the walls are filled with boards. The external walls are divided by horizontal lines covered with shingle cornices, between which there are 30 small, evenly spaced windows. Five entrances lead inside. The church is covered with a steep, shingled roof, and the entire interior is covered with boarding. Thanks to the amphitheatric position of the benches also on three choirs, the small interior has seating for 1,100 people.
Despite the early modern construction period, the church was erected in a technique used throughout the Middle Ages. Thanks to its great architectural value and perfect condition of preservation, in 2008 it was included, along with another 7 wooden churches of the Carpathian region, on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Website wikipedia.org, Kościół artykularny w Hronseku.