The foundation of the first defensive seat in Krasiczyn is connected with Jakub of Siecino, the Rogala coat of arms, ancestor of the Krasicki family, who came to neighboring lands at the end of the 15th century from Dobrzyn land. Initially poor, around 1540 he married a rich Barbara from the Orzechowski family and thanks to that he became the owner of fourteen villages, among which there were Śliwnica and Krasice. From the last one, the descendants of Jakub took the surname of Krasicki, while on the grounds of Śliwnica, Jakub built a family castle.
At the end of the 16th century, the son of Jakub, Stanisław Krasicki, extended the modest castle. He held the office of the castellan of Przemyśl, he also enjoyed the favors of subsequent kings starting with Zygmunt August. He gained fame in the wars with the Tartars and Moscow, for which he received the office of praefectus curruum and four starosts. Income from them and from own goods enabled him to significantly expand the family residence.
The next owner of the Krasiczyn was Marcin Krasicki, who developed and transformed the raw castle into a residence. He erected a new residential wing, and raised the walls and towers giving them names referring to the four levels of power: Divine, Papal, Royal and Noble. In the following years, the castle was handed over to the Lublin voivode Jan Tarła, who was a supporter of king August II, which meant that in 1726 Krasiczyn was invaded by Russian and Cossack troops. The castle was seriously damaged and robbed. From 1834, it belonged to the Sapieh family, who in the nineteenth century carried out renovation and partial reconstruction.
The first fortified building was created by a gatehouse and wooden – earth fortifications on the projection of a quadrilateral. The gatehouse was in the perimeter of the earth’s ramparts topped with some form of palisade and preceded by a moat. It was built of unworked stone and faced with a bricks. Its dimensions in the plan were 9.7 x 13.2 meters, and the thickness of the walls ranged from 1.4 to 1.8 meters. In its ground floor there was a passage corridor covered with a barrel vault, and a room on the first floor, probably of a residential function. Vertical communication was carried out by means of stairs placed in the wall thickness. The entrance to the building was secured by a drawbridge.
At the end of the 16th century, the residence was built on a square-like plan, with a large courtyard surrounded by walls, four towers in the corners and a house at the northern curtain adjacent to the entrance gate. The walls were equipped with shooting holes and porches for defenders, and the castle was surrounded by a moat and an earth rampart. The towers had very different diameters, were two-storey, so only slightly higher than the defensive walls and probably topped with conical roofs. All openings of eastern towers (later known as Royal and Nobles) and openings in the ground floor of western towers (later the Divine and Papal towers) were adapted to use the guns. In addition, the western towers also had residential functions.
The present appearance of the renovated and renewed castle in Krasiczyn is an example of the renaissance-mannerist style. It performs hotel, recreational and conference functions. You can check the prices and hours of the visit on the official website here.
Frazik J.T., Zamek w Krasiczynie, Przemyśl 1971.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.