The brick walls in Góra were built in the in the second half of the fourteenth century, replacing the earlier wooden and earth fortifications with a palisade. After 1770, the partial liquidation of the fortifications began. The moat was filled in, the earth ramparts were leveled and gardens were created in their place. In 1818, the tower at the Polish Gate was pulled down, in 1828 the gate itself, and in 1851 the Głogów Gate. During the nineteenth century most of the defensive walls were also demolished.
The fortifications were erected on a plan similar to the oval with a slight bulge in the north-eastern part, caused by the location of the St. Catherine church. The entrance to the town was provided by four gates: the western one called Głogów Gate, the eastern one called Poland Gate, and northern and southern. The wall was also equipped with towers which originally were 12 or 13. The outer defense zone of the city was an additional earth embankment and a moat.
Until today, the so-called Głogów Tower, once a defensive element of the Głogów Gate, has survived. It is a six-storey building. In the lower part, up to a height of 1,5 m, the base is made of glacial erratic boulders, the upper one is made of bricks. At the second and third storey it has an ornament made of glazed bricks. On the top floor there is a row of blendes with ogival windows. In the side walls there are narrow arrowslits and two portals, formerly leading to the crown of the town walls.
Przyłęcki M., Mury obronne miast Dolnego Śląska, Wrocław 1970.